We all love dogs so much! Here are 10 interesting facts about dogs you may not have known!
- Dogs can smell anywhere between 10,000 and 100,000 times better than us humans. So to them, we smell! Scientists have stated that dogs can pick up odors at a concentration of parts per trillion. They can literally smell fear, anxiety and sadness.
- Research at the University of British Columbia found that the intelligence of a dog is that of a human child between 2 and 2 1/2 years old. They have to capability to understand 150 to 200 words.
- Dogs can intentionally deceive humans and other dogs in order to gain treats. They also get genuinely jealous.
- By a long shot, the USA has the highest population of dogs in the world with 75.8 million! The second highest is Brazil with 35.7.
- Dogs CAN see more than just black and white… I know that is what we have always been told. But they can see shades of blue, yellow and green.
- There are more than 150 breeds of dogs.
- The current world record holder for oldest dog is “Bluey” who was an Australian cattle dog. Bluey died in 1939 at the amazing age of 29 years old. WOW!
- Stray dogs in Russia actually get on and off the subway system in certain stops in search for food! Now that is an interesting fact about dogs!
- Humans and dogs can help each other with anxiety. For example; leaving some of your clothes behind that you have worn can help your dog with separation anxiety. If they can lay with your worn clothes, it has been proven that it eases their anxiety. And vice versa…
Petting your dog for just 15 minutes releases “feel good” hormones to help you cope with stress and other mental illnesses like PTSD.
- Labradors have been the most popular breed in the United States for the last 26 years. (YAY, Proud Labrador owner here!)
I hope you enjoyed these 10 interesting facts about dogs! I know I had fun writing it.
Twitter: The Dog Connection