Here is a A Guest blog I did for Cold Noses News called ” IDEAS FOR LOCAL ANIMAL SHELTERS DURING THE HOLIDAYS “.
Shelters usually run off of donations, so whatever you can give goes a long way!
Now I will focus on a specific local shelter’s needs at the La Crosse County, WI Animal Shelter.
~DONATIONS FOR THE MONTH OF JANUARY~
We have teamed up with Doggie Zen & Den (facebook link) and Dollar Tree to take donations at their Holmen locations!! Anyone can drop donations off during normal business hours (open at 8, except on Sundays for Doggie Z&D) and I will run donations to the shelter! Anything helps! You can also drop off directly at the animal shelter in Onalaska on Critter Court. Thank you!!!
When I contacted our Coulee Region animal shelter they stated that dry cat food and pate style wet food is the current biggest need.
They can also always use fresh veggies.
Dog and Kennel Care
- Dry dog food—Science Diet, Taste of the Wild, and Wellness
- Dry puppy food
- Kong stuffers—small treats, peanut butter, spray cheese
- Toys for dogs—Kongs, etc.
- Rawhide bones or chips
- Pig ears
- Dog treats—soft and grain free
Cat and Kennel Care
- Toys for cats—little mice with a tail and bell on the end, balls, etc.
- Dry cat food—Science Diet, Purina/Purina One and Blue Buffalo
- Dry kitten food— Science Diet, Purina/Purina One and Blue Buffalo
- Royal Canin Babycat dry food
- Pate style wet cat food
- Meat-flavored baby food—no onion or garlic powder
- Clay cat litter (non-clumping)
- 12-inch diameter metal oil pans
- Feliway spray
- Scratching posts for kennels
- Guinea pig food
- Timothy Hay
- Rabbit food
- Yesterday’s News- small animal litter
- Festival Gift cards- to purchase fresh veggies
- Pooper Scoopers—heavy duty
- Gas gift cards (transportation of animals to vet clinics, CVIs, etc.)
- Gift cards to buy supplies—Menards, Target, Wal-Mart, Sam’s Club, PETCO, PetSmart
- Aluminum cans to support spay and neuter program
- Laundry detergent for washers (HE detergent or pods)
- Drawstring Garbage bags—33 gallons
- Dryer sheets
- Paper towels
Please keep your animal shelter in mind, not just over the holidays, but throughout the year!
There is a bigger need right now because of the cold. That’s why we are doing the donation drive the month of January. Look around your house, you may have something to donate!
For those that are not local; If you are not sure where your local shelter is, just pick up your smart phone and search “animal shelter near me”.