I have always had dogs around me to pet, walk or just cuddle with. I remember my first dog, Sugar, from when I was very young. She was always by my side. I am very grateful to be raised with dogs around and in fact it made me a healthier person!
Here are proven facts and studies that show health benefits to having a dog!
10 reasons life is better with a dog…
- Dogs reduce stress levels. Did you know just the act of petting a dog can lower your heart rate and blood pressure. Petting a dog for just 10 to 15 minutes can release “feel good” hormones to also help cope with depression and other mental illness.
- Dogs can smell cancer. It is known that dogs have the ability to smell cancer on a human body. Many studies state that dogs have pointed out cancer sites to their owners by licking or repeatedly sniffing a mole or lump!
- Dogs force you to exercise. All dogs need exercise, although some more than others. Dogs can keep you healthy and at a healthy weight by getting out and getting that fresh air! Don’t forget to take your shoes off for even more grounding benefits! See blog on how much exercise your dog needs a day!
- Dogs are personal security. When you have a dog you never have to be alone. Even though my dogs are sweet, they can sound mean when they hear something or scare the mail lady! Studies have shown that potential break ins are put off by barking dogs.
- Dogs teach responsibility. Children especially benefit from having with a dog. They need to be fed, watered, exercised, potty-time, etc. A dog is like a child and needs around the clock attention.
- Dogs can reduce allergies. I know it sounds backwards but it’s true! Studies have shown growing up with a dog in your house reduces your chance to develop allergies over the course of your life. According to Live Science, kids exposed to dogs may pick up microbes that protect them against allergies and asthma. Maybe that is why no one in my family has allergies?!
- Dogs can help you be social. Humans tend to gravitate towards humans with dogs. Plus it gives off an impression that you are trust worthy. Ever see a movie where the guy uses a puppy to get the girls attention? Ya, me too! That’s because it works! Dogs not only bring out the best people, but they bring out the best IN people.
- Dogs make work more enjoyable. Bringing dogs to work is increasing as it shows to lower work stress and keep staff more energized. Employers are now realizing the benefits of having a dog around at work. They can pet, walk or play with their dog which makes them more productive and satisfied. I am so very grateful to work with my furry children everyday! They are my inspiration!
- Dogs teach compassion. Studies have shown children with dogs show more empathy and show more positive attitude towards animals. Dogs love humans more than themselves so we feel that heart and soul. If when young, we tune into our dogs need for attention, love, food or companionship, we can grow up into a caring adult who can more intuitively tune in to other people’s feelings as well.
- Dogs connect with our souls! I wrote another blog about just how connected dogs are to our souls. It is said they can reincarnate and be our pet again and again. See my blog on the soul connection here.
Hope you enjoyed learning about the extra benefits dogs bring us! We can feel the strong bond we have with them and now we know that it’s making us healthier by just being around them. I look forward to time with my dogs everyday and they do too! It’s important to give them the love and attention they want so badly. After all, they are here to help and connect with us!
Dog Bless! ~ The Dog Connection
Don’t forget to subscribe below to stay connected!